Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Be Still...

I know I've promised a few of you a new post with pictures from our trip to the zoo on Sunday--and I will post those soon!!! I just wanted to share something with everyone tonight...It's an amazing testament of God's not-so-subtle way of reminding us that He is in control. And trust me folks, I can't even make up stuff that's this good!

First let me share a little bit of background for those of you who I don't talk to on a regular basis. Life has been wonderful in the Portas household lately. It has also been extremely busy for each of us. Alana is in school five days a week, I am taking six college classes PLUS volunteering at Alana's school, and Justin is in the Navy--enough said. On top of everything that is already on our plates, it is time for Justin to either re-enlist or get out of the Navy. We have been unsure about this next step. Justin wants out, but we know that this is not the best time for our family for that to happen. It's been weighing on us both...and most likely, consequently, Alana as well. The past week has been especially tough on Justin. He has been working strenuous, long hours despite his new position in cargo. We're talking major manual labor for 12-14 hours a day. He hasn't had a chance to call the detailer for order options, etc...and all the while he's been questioning what the future holds for him. We know what I'm doing, as far as a career. Alana is in Kindergarten, so we know what she's gonna be up to for the next 11 years or so. Justin doesn't quite know what he wants to be when he grows up, though :) He just knows it does not include retiring from the military. Justin and I have been very open with our communication about all of this. Last night, after a few rough days, we had another deep discussion. It was a sort of break-thru in that we both really accepted that we had to relinquish the control and realize it was gonna be alright no matter what. Justin said something that prompted me to say "We have to 'Be still'..." Then he repeated "Be still and know that I am God" a few times. He said that was his old mantra, and needed to become his new one--especially while at work.

Fast forward to today...Justin picks up his "Our Daily Bread" devotional book (you probably know what I'm referring to, but just in case you don't I've included graphics) :)

He opens it up and turns the page to today, Wednesday, October 14th. And this is what he saw...

The best part yet is what the bottom of the page reads...


Can I get an AMEN? Seriously. I told you this was good stuff! "God knows the future, so we are safe in His hands." Justin brought this home to me and I began humming the Twilight Zone theme...I mean, WOW. Justin went on to share that he finally knows that it doesn't matter if we don't know exactly what our future holds...because Someone does--and that Someone will keep us safe!

Peace, Love and Being Still

3 comments:

John Schneck said...

Trust in the LORD and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart’s desires.
Commit everything you do to the LORD. Trust him, and he will help you...
The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.
Psalm 37:3-5, 23

Brooke said...

AMEN sista! Thank you, God for affirming Your Word to Justin & Ally TODAY! As my Dad always says, we don't know how, we just know Him who KNOWS how! Love you friend! You guys are such an encouragement to me.

Melanie said...

I think I needed to read that about now. That was awesome. :)

This is one of my favorites:
"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." (Prov. 3:5-6)

God bless you all.