Monday, October 1, 2007

Mouse in the House


Anyone who knows me, knows that there are few things I despise more than mice...I never had to deal with them when I lived in Florida, and then I moved to Nashville...Jon and I set traps and caught more mice in the first few months of living together than I ever care to remember. So today I'm catching up on housework that is next to impossible to do with two toddlers running around, because Lucas spent the day with his daddy. While throwing laundry into the washing machine, I see something scamper from the pile and run behind the washer and dryer. I freaked! I knew it HAD to be a mouse, because what else would run like that from me? I also realized I had weedeated the backyard this morning and probably sent it right on inside. Immediately, I developed a sick, sick feeling in my stomach. I called the office and told them to send the exterminator out...and eventually went on with my household duties. While walking through the kitchen, I saw something under the chair by the stairs...Lo and behold, there it was...the tiniest, cotton ball-sized mouse...a nuisance, nonetheless. I literally stood in the kitchen for about an hour and a half, watching it...waiting for it to move. I knew I couldn't catch it but I thought I could at least keep track of where it was. I called my dad, the master in pest control, and asked what I could do. "Can I spray it with something? Ant killer? Wasp and hornet spray?" Funny, yes...but I was in desperate need of answers! My dad was visiting with some people who had the simple answer of "Tell her to throw a towel on it and pick it up". RIIIIIIIIGHT...not doing that! So I waited...and waited...watched out the window for Justin to come home from work. And when he did, I showed him the mouse in the corner. He shrugged his shoulders, said "Why don't you throw something on it and pick it up?" and did just that...Within 3 minutes of walking through the front door, my husband had saved the day...the mouse's life...and became my hero all over again!

4 comments:

Jenna Lea said...

What an amazing story. :D I hate mice. We have a lizard problem here in Texas. I hate them. They're alays crawling all over the place. It's so nasty. I don't think I could even sit and watch a mouse. Way to go! You're amazing! and so is Justin! I'm REALLY praying for you! haha. :D

Jenna Lea said...

Oh yes, I forgot to add sry you won't be able to see your brother this tour. Amazing what you can find out from other ppls blogs. :D
I'll make sure to bring some skittles for you. :)

Abby said...

whoa! i dont freak out for mice, but i wouldnt dare to pick one up. your husband is one savior, i must say.

Melanie said...

There is a opening somewhere most likely. Perhaps a laundry vent? If your's isn't covered on the outside, you might look into getting one. Once you find out where they are entering, it will help.

I think mice are cute... when captive. But they can be rather unnerving in your house - mainly because they carry diseases I'd rather not think about. I'd be afraid of getting bit. LOL