Thursday, October 25, 2007

We(a)k in Review

Did you think I fell off the wagon? Nope! I've just been busy and haven't had time to sit down and think. Right now I have no choice but to stay inside, or I will likely drown...Lovely, lovely, coastal storms. Today, I have officially completed one week of the new animal-less (new word I just made up) diet. :::Patting myself on the back::: I honestly cannot believe I made it through. One night I literally cried--silly, but Justin suggested that I eat my dinner and go to bed, wake up in the morning and if I wanted to eat something non-vegan to just do it. This is the man's no-brainer approach...the man who went to Logan's Roadhouse and had a hamburger and homemade chips while watching Monday Night Football that very same night's approach :) I thought about it, and I realized he actually had a point. I have to take this one meal at a time. So I got through my meatless fajita dinner, and the next morning we went to Trader Joe's (my new favorite place) to buy some groceries. The girl at the checkout obviously noticed the cart full of vegan choices, and she started asking me about it...she is a vegan...offered me some new food choice ideas, told me where to buy them, and said the most encouraging thing yet. She told me to do it gradually. Too late! But it made me realize that it's ok to have something vegetarian that has a little milk in it or something every once in a while. She said "You'll make yourself crazy if you give it all up at once!" Justin and I exchanged grins at this point, remembering the night before when I was in tears over I don't know what...I won't lie and say it's been a breeze, but I think it will get easier the more I get used to it. I feel better, but I know I'm not even close to feeling all the benefits yet. I wasn't specifically doing this for weight loss, though I've managed to lose almost 3 lbs, not even exercising. I have not had a Coke or anything other than water to drink for a week now...That may be my biggest success yet :) Thank you for all of you who are supporting me through this and giving me ideas...We bought the So Delicious "ice cream", which I took one bite of just to taste. It was good! The best is the Tofutti Cuties...they are little "ice cream" sandwiches...all vegan, of course. It's just about finding what works for your tastebuds. Our favorite meatless meal (collectively, as a family) is the Gardernburger Meatless Riblets. I thought that nothing sounded grosser when I bought them...but they are DELICIOUS! Alana ate that faster than anything in her life, I think. All in all, the week was a victory. I can't wait to see what week number two brings my way! My tummy is growling, so I shall go feed it some organic flaxseed raisin bran with soy milk...Don't knock it til you've tried it!

5 comments:

Jenna Lea said...

Way to go! It helps when you know someone who has done it before. I'm a really pipcky eater and all i like is junk food. isn't that horrible?

Can i send you an email? Found something shocking out and want to know if you have any advise. I won't send it til i get the okay! :D

Once again... WAY TO GO!!!
KEPP IT UP!

Melanie said...

I'm lactose intolerant. I actually like soy milk. LOL

Cutting out soda will cut a ton of calories from your diet. I felt rather guilty the other night because I had three... but I was sooooo thirsty and water just didn't sound good. I could console myself with the fact that I did drink an entire glass of water afterwards. LOL

I was going to recommend cutting the caffeinated drinks down gradually to avoid the headaches, but you'd already gone cold turkey.

Glad you are feeling better. Sounds like this is working for you. :)

Allison said...

Jenna, you can email me whenever! You don't have to ask permission :)

Jenna Lea said...

yes ma'am! HaHa! :D

Jenna Lea said...

I GOT MY SHIRT TODAY! I'm gonna wear it wed. because I already promised my friends I'd wear a shirt I made for the concert tomorrow. I LOVE IT! thanks :D