Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Be Still...

I have made it no secret that I have a tendency to worry about things.  I don't like to think that I am a negative person, but while doing some reading this week I have come to the realization that it's the way I think that is negative.  Instead of thinking of those things that I really wish would happen, I spend countless moments hoping that the opposite doesn't come to pass.  There have been a lot of these thoughts lately.  I have been consumed with stress over school--my school and Alana's.  I have had to rework my schedule to better suit our Justin-less home and that caused me more grief than you can imagine.  In listening to me cry (pretty much for an entire day), my mom said "Allison, sometimes we just have to be still."  And boy was she right!  I have been going nonstop, even when I am physically just sitting...or trying to sleep at night, my brain is going a million miles a minute, thinking about all the things I have to get done still and how I'm going to manage everything on my own.  The truth is, there is no way I can manage everything on my own...Then I ran across this verse tonight:

"God will fight the battle for you.  And you?  You keep your mouth shut!"  - Exodus 14:14 (The Message)

Once I decided to take my mom's advice and "be still"...things have started to show themselves to me.  Something big that I was worried about at school was somewhat lifted today by a simple conversation with my teacher.  Then, I got an unexpected call to become more involved in church...and with that, the return of the comfort knowing that I have another family here.

Be still.
I love you, Mom. xo

2 comments:

Jenna Lea said...

yeah! thanks mrs. portas's mom! hahaha.
that weird b/c i really needed that! i love the way out God works! :D i'm so worried i'm not gonna get my summer reading done. that's all i seem to think about.

thanks! :D :D
you are amazing!!!! and i'm really glad you shared that.

Jenna Lea said...

i'm the typo queen tonight.
i was too tire to proof read and it sure does show! haha :)

oh yes, i'll be praying for you!