Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Alana's First Trip to the Dentist

This morning, Alana had her very first dentist appointment...well, the very first one that she actually went to :) Some of you know what I'm talking about, and for those of you who don't we will keep it that way haha. Other than the fact that it was time for her to go for her first cleaning, I wanted to talk to the dentist about her teeth-grinding. It is UNREAL how loud she grinds her teeth at night. I have had to wake her up to get her to stop...and trust me, if I wake her up for anything you know it must be bad :) I was concerned (as was Grammy) that her teeth were going to be worn down, even broken. I was most worried about it affecting her permanent teeth somehow.

So we went to my dentist...They are very nice, and I knew she'd be in good hands. She got to pick her flavor of toothpaste--she picked raspberry! Then the nice lady let her touch the brush and see how it would work and everything...She really took her time with her, explaining all that she was doing and why. Then she cleaned her teeth! The worst part for Alana was the light shining in her eyes haha. They counted her teeth--she had all 20 :) And they checked for cavities--none there! They also said her teeth are perfectly spaced. The dentist praised her for brushing her teeth so well (she brushes them herself, so I was proud too!) Then she got to pick out 2 prizes, 4 stickers and a new toothbrush!

As for the grinding, the dentist and the hygienist both assured me that it is normal (as awful as it may sound)...And they said it has something to do with the way baby teeth come in, and usually is outgrown with permanent teeth back there. I really hope so! They told me that her teeth don't show any signs of being worn down, but even if they were worn down to nothing she would be fine. So I can take a sigh of relief...and just have to sleep with ear plugs or something if she's next to me :)

After the dentist, I took her to Chick Fil-A for breakfast and to play on the playground...I told her that I was going back to the dentist on Friday to get my teeth cleaned. She immediately asked me what flavor of toothpaste I was gonna pick. I told her that I didn't get to pick because only special little girls like her did. So she told me she will go with me so she can pick for me then :) So sweet...and so clever! Oh, and next time she's totally picking orange!

Peace, Love and clean mouths

3 comments:

Jenna Lea said...

hahaha!
Loved that story.
I can't stand the dentist.

Anonymous said...

yay Alana for doing sooo good!!! She is better than me :)

Anonymous said...

congrats to you & alana for the good report...you must have really taught her the right way to brush....and that was really clever to offer to pick your toothpaste for you !
Keep up the good work!