Friday, January 9, 2009

Pee Pee Days are Here to Stay

For now at least. I shall explain, not to worry :) A lot of you already know this, but I have had to take Alana to the doctor a few times in the past year for bladder issues. I have thought she had a bladder infection, because she will go potty and immediately say she has to go again. We were actually told she did have one back in August, and she was given antibiotics to treat it. When the antibiotics didn't cure it, I took her back for a follow-up at which a different doctor told me that the reason the medicine didn't work was because she didn't have an infection in the first place. Thank you, Navy docs. Then in November, I took her again...mind you, every time I take her for this issue they have her give a urine specimen...The first time she had to pee pee in a cup, it was hands down the most traumatic experience of her life to date. Now she is a pro haha. So this time I took her and the doctor checked her urine cultures and said that she still had no infection and that her frequent urge to pee was nothing more than "behavioral"...in other words, he said she was doing it for attention. I hadn't taken that into consideration. I thought about it...Alana is an only child. I am a stay-at-home mom. She has pretty much 100% of mine and Justin's undivided attention...so why does she need to pee pee for attention? I shrugged it off and was glad that there wasn't something medically wrong with her. In time, it kind of dwindled. About a week ago, it started up again...Full force. This time I paid close attention to how she was doing it...meaning, was she using it to get my attention...or to stay up later...that sort of thing. She goes potty by herself now, even getting up a few times a night to go. She will tell me she's going sometimes, but doesn't make a big deal of it. So I'm convinced this is not behavioral. I took her to the doctor AGAIN yesterday, and they finally have referred her to a pediatric urologist. The doctor told me that it's not uncommon for kids her age to have bladder issues. She's not having "accidents", she just goes a lot. They said it could be bladder spasms causing it. The doctor told me to call the appointment line today to set up the appointment with the urologist. This does not sound like a fun idea to me...taking my baby to a urologist. Ugh. So I called this morning, first thing...and they told me that they referred her out to a civilian hospital (no complaints here, except that) I have to wait to receive a letter in the mail in 7-10 business days with the phone number to THEN call to set up an appointment. I'll be in Nashville in 7-10 business days...for a week...so I guess this will just have to wait another few weeks. I just hope that she can hold it the duration of a 2 hour plane ride, because I can't bear the thought of going into the airplane potty with her. It's a space way too close for comfort for me. That's a whole 'nother story, though. Wish me luck.

Peace, Love and Taking stock in Toilet Paper

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poor LANA............I hope she feels better soon...I know she hates it!!!