Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sometimes it's Just Meant to Be

Last night we had church...It was one of those sermons that sent chills up my spine at least once. Pastor Fred said things so specific and true to mine and Angie's lives that we looked at each other like 'WHAAAAAAT?!' Yes, we are deep haha. He talked about having an appetite for obedience. That, coupled with the dinner-time close, gave us an appetite for chinese food. Angie and I somehow managed to get through our meal, even though the kids were wild'n out. After we went our separate ways and put our kiddos to bed, we ended up back here. Here, being our computers. This is our life. We live around the corner from each other and spend much of our nights "hanging out" online--hey, it makes them not seem so lonely. Last night it struck me as being especially funny...Angie and I were online, talking to each other...emailing back and forth with our husbands, who were together on the ship. It's like one big happy family :) Allow me to shed some light (for those of you who might not be aware) on making friends in the Navy life. It is difficult. First of all, a good majority of Navy wives are catty and like to gossip for a living. I was warned right off the bat to stay clear of all of them, but considering I am part of this world now I have made a few exceptions to that rule. It is also hard to make lasting friendships, because we all come and go so quickly. When we first moved to Virginia, Justin left almost immediately for an 8-month deployment. I knew no one. I had a 2 year old. I felt alone. So what did I do? I went back to Nashville to stay with my mom! When I had been there a month or two, I got an email from Justin telling me about this friend he had made on the ship. He asked me to email his new friend's wife, because she needed some help making the move to VA as well. I was hesitant, but he insisted that she'd be "cool". Turns out, she was more than cool. She was AMAZING. She was one of the best friends I could ask for...and then, Justin and her husband broke up, er, uh had a falling out of sorts...so that made things sticky for me and my friend. We made it work, though :) So flash forward to last December. Justin and I had moved to Norfolk. It was definitely an easy transition. One day Justin tells me that he met this guy on the ship that he got along really well with...He thinks I should meet his wife. After all, they are friends so why shouldn't the wives be? I was extremely hesitant and less than enthused about meeting these new potential friends. Maybe it was partially due to the previous attempts at being forced into friendships! I specifically remember Justin telling me "but they are hardcore FSU fans!" (I went to college there for a bit and grew up in a family of Seminoles) But seriously, is that supposed to make me like them, sight unseen? Haha. I'm laughing, yes...Angie and I were talking about this last night. I can be open and honest about all these reservations I had because Angie had the same ones. It's obvious to most that we met and things turned out better than I could've ever expected. I am so thankful that Justin has Jeremy. While most guys on their ship spend time doing things I cannot begin to post due to the vulgarity, our husbands are doing Bible studies together and really delving into the Word with each other. That is, when they are not playing Madden on the PS3 :) It gives me a sense of peace, knowing that Justin has someone out there that he is equally yoked with. And of course, that leaves me and Angie here. I couldn't ask for a better friend. Angie is someone that I know I can count on in a heartbeat (and vice-versa by the way) There are few people I would trust with my child, and she is at the top of the list. We had this discussion last night about all the things we ultimately ended up having in common. I joked that when she added me to her myspace (before meeting her), I read that she liked General Hospital and I knew we'd be cool. It seems like everyday we find something else to agree on...We were naming some of the many things last night:

-We both watch the same tv shows...not a big deal to some, but when that accounts for many of your nights it does matter. We will watch tv "together" (while messaging on msn)
-Our favorite color is PURPLE
-Our middle names are the same...and in fact, we have the same (maiden) initials of A.D.S.
-There are a ton of similarities with our families...from Grandmas to Moms to MILs.
-Of course, both of our husbands are in the Navy and on the same ship.
-Let's not forget our mutual crush on Javy Lopez (of the Atlanta Braves) back in the day.
-The Reebok hightops...BLACK or WHITE, Angie? :)

There are so many little things. I can't even begin to name them all. Right now, Jeremy is awaiting his orders. They have been planning a move to Jacksonville in February-ish...but now it looks like the Navy may have different plans. Ones to keep them here, and to take Jeremy on this deployment. While it really stinks for them, Justin and I (selfishly, yes) couldn't be happier at the prospect. Truthfully, I want what's best for them...That's what friends do :) But as Pastor Fred reminded us so frankly last night, there are our plans...and then there are God's plans. He actually made the comment "when you are waiting for those orders to pass across the CO's desk"...God is REAL. And I thank God for giving us really good friends, the McKinneys!

Peace, Love and Lasting Friendships

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhh sweet blog...thank you for all the kind words...I am so happy we did meet and we all have yall in our lives I know Jeremy loves Justin, Jalen sure does love Alana and I sure love you too...well all of yall buy ya know..hahaha it worked out wondfully! I guess we will see before to long if I will be here with you or shiped off somewhere else but for what its worth I know I have made a lifetime friend and you guys will always be in our lives! Thanks girl!!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely testimony to Christian friendship you have written ! God bless all of you and pray that His will is going to be the right decision for all concerned. Having dear friends who share your faith is one of life's greatest blessings.Such friendship DO transcend distance...our very best friends in Ga. are still our dearest friends. I had to laugh over the fact you all were Javy Lopez fans cause when Justin's cousin Airy was with us for a while in Ga. she and I were "in love" with javy!As was every gal in Atlanta!
Kidding aside...cherish your friends and let neither time nor distance separate your spirits.To find such good friends at your young ages is a blessing...some folks live 1/2 a lifetime before developing such friends!
Blessings to all..

Melanie said...

Everyone should have friends like that. :)

Denise Schneck said...

Nothing compares to a BEST friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Angela wanted me to read your most current blog. Sounds like you have another thing in common with Angela - your big heart! I think its been a blessing that you came into my daughters life.

Anonymous said...

The blog was very nice!! im glad that u guys have each other!!! Good friends are not easy to find!! and no matter what I think u guys will be always friends no matter what.

Anonymous said...

sorry to time no matter what!! i cant change it!!! jajjajja