Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fan Mail


Could it be? Is Justin coming home today? No, the navy never sends them home early...I haven't heard from him, but the word on the street is that they will be pulling in (if they haven't already). So as if that's not enough excitement for one day...Let me tell you a little something that happened to me, by first prefacing it with a big huge LAUGH because I am always prone to these predicaments. The day that we moved into this lovely apartment we are living in, there was a record high temp of 101 degrees. We had a 26-foot Uhaul full of stuff to unload when we walked in and found out that our air conditioning was not working. The maintenance people here (God love 'em) said there wasn't anything they could do and that they would have to hire an outside company to fix the problem...but that they could put in a window unit downstairs to cool it off. They did, and that worked tremendously--however, upstairs was at LEAST 130 degrees. I couldn't even stand to be up there for a millisecond, let alone unpack anything. My dad, being the amazing man that he is, went to Lowe's and bought us 2 ceiling fans and labored long and hard to install them. They worked wonders, even after our AC was fixed. It's always hot up there! Ok, so about 4 months later when I was looking through some paperwork to try and find out about our "lease" here, I ran across this form that my dear husband had signed off on reading, "NO CEILING FANS, NO EXCEPTIONS!" Needless to say, I decided to try and forget about it (because I am not talented enough to take down a ceiling fan by myself)...When they told me that there would be a preliminary inspection of my quarters on Thursday, the first thought to cross my mind was "TAKE DOWN THE FANS, ALLISON!" I called my most favorite friend and neighbor, Natalia, and asked her to help. She volunteered her uncle to do it. That's great! It's all set...it will be taken care of and good as new by the time they come. OR not. In the process of putting the original fixture back up, something happened in Alana's room and now she has NO power whatsoever. And now I'm stuck with having to call maintenance and try to explain, as best I can without tattling on myself, that for some odd reason there is no power in that room now. What can you do but laugh? I could cry but it wouldn't fix the problem...or I might haha. On a totally different topic, I noticed this morning that in my very first post is a picture of Jon and me on the now charred bus. Ah, the memories. And yes, Alana is driving RK's bus. They said she was qualified, and she works for cheap...just give her a bowl of cheddar Chex mix and she'll be good to go! And for now, I shall go! I have fans to hide and maintenance people to call :)

5 comments:

Jenna Lea said...

WOW! You seem kinda like a Job right now. Well, not fully like Job, but I think you know what I mean. The entire 130 degrees thing. That's amazing! I live in Texas, but amazingly it hasn't been over 100. It rains almost everyday. I'm also thinking that the no ceiling fans rule is kinda crazy.

Alana looks like she's a pretty good driver! You're amazing! I'm praying for you and your family. :D

anne said...

Oh No!!You could always tell them that the heat got to you and that you didn't know what you were doing when you installed the fans.(Your brain was fried from the intense heat)and you wern't responsible for your actions.Or you could just blame Justin.Kidding!!!Seriously though I hope it all works out.Blessings to all.

Angela said...

Really who doesnt like ceiling fans? That is crazy that it has gotten that hot.

Well good luck with your electricity problem, or if you have sorted it out by the time you read this then I hope it went well. =)

Allison said...

I think I need to clarify...it was 101 LAST August when we moved into this apartment :)

Melanie said...

The photo of Alana in the bus is adorable. :) Now if she could just reach the pedals.

As for the fans, I hope that works out for you. We have a ceiling fan in our kitchen upstairs. Shortly after we moved in we lost electricity on one entire wall. I'm useless when it comes to such things. My husband finally checked it out months later and come to find out they pretty much had the ceiling fan and half the upstairs wired into the light fixture in the kitchen. It was a mess. That probably doesn't help much. Did this get resolved yet? I know I'm pretty good at getting into that sort of mess, so that part I can relate to. LOL I'd be stressing, probably way too much, too.

I hope it all works (or has worked) itself out.

--Melanie