Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Worry Wort Portas

"Don't fret or worry.  Instead of worrying, pray.  Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns.  Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down.  It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."  -Philippians 4:6-7 (The Message)

"If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father.  He loves to help.  You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it.  Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.  People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves.  Don't think you are going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open."  -James 1:5-8 (The Message)

I have a lot of downfalls...I know, shocking.  But one of my biggest issues is worry.  I stress over things that haven't even happened yet.  I get anxious just thinking about how things will pan out.  I know that God is in control of things, yet I still try to take things into my own hands.  I have some amazing people in my life that pray believingly without fail.  And guess what?  Their prayers are answered.  I think maybe sometimes I pray for things out of despair.  I "worry my prayers".  I exhaust all of MY options and then when I can't come up with any more ideas, I ask God.  What's up with me?  I want to be able to truly give to God every part of my life...not just the ones that I can't deal with.  That would be like me eating a big gourmet meal and giving the scraps to Alana.  Obviously, that would never happen.  I want my relationship with Christ to be like mine with my child...I want to give Him the best of me.  

There's a constant dialogue going on in my head...
~Where am I going to send Alana to preschool in the fall, now that the one I'd chosen closed?
~How can I afford it, especially with gas prices soaring as high as they are?
~What will I do when Justin starts doing workups and leaves on deployment?
~Am I making the right decision by going to school?

Notice that every question I ask, has the word "I" in it.  It's time I really believe that none of this is in my hands...and let go and let God.


By the way...
Thank you to Lindsay who has given me a new obsession (The new blog layout) 

4 comments:

Denise Schneck said...

Love the new layout. Love the message more!

Anonymous said...

This is one of your best messages yet! It really hits home for me, Makes me see how much I need to change some things in my life and get back into church and get Jalen into it poor thing has NEVER been...Thats HORRIBLE to say!!!!!!! Thank you for this message!

Melanie said...

I think that worry thing is true for most of us too much of the time. And Matthew 6:33-34 is still true. Worrying has never added a minute to my life. LOL There is one thing I am doing much better at letting go of the worry on, so hopefully I can do that more and more. Thanks for the message. :) And the new layout is great. But we don't match anymore. LOL (But wouldn't it be boring if they were all the same?) ;)

Jenna Lea said...

I'm a prayin' for ya! :D
Pretty sure i have the same problem!
you're amazing!!! :D