Friday, August 1, 2008

Bruised and Battered...Gall Bladdered. What?!

I haven't posted since my day of great productivity...I think that from now on I should stick to being a procrastinator and enjoying nice lazy days.  Monday night, I began experiencing extreme chest pain--to the point it woke me up from a deep sleep.  I was actually dreaming that I had just had surgery of some sort and that my mom and dad were there with me.  I was crying because I was in so much pain and my mom (being the nurse that she is) was telling me it would be ok.  I woke up, only to find that though the dream was just that, the pain was very real.  I wanted to cry in real life, but I thought it would only hurt worse, so I fought the tears.  "I'm having a heart attack..."  That's what I kept repeating in my mind.  It was intense.  I got up and made my way to the bathroom and rummaged through the cabinet to find some aspirin.  After all, that's what you do when you are having a heart attack, right?  The aspirin didn't seem to help much at all, if any.  I sat in my bed...yes, sat...until I managed to fall back asleep for the hour I had before the alarm went off.  Ok, so I had class...made it through class and then decided to call my mom and tell her what was going on.  I believe I started off the story with..."I probably shouldn't tell you this because you'll worry but..." The next thing I know I was at the ER, having EKGs and chest xrays, only to be told that my pain was caused by nothing more than "anxiety" and was sent home with a prescription for Motrin and a big huge insta-bruise on my arm from the ever-so-talented nurse who drew my labs.  Ooh-la-la.  I was not convinced that the doctor was thorough enough, so I asked him (due to my mom's pre-diagnosis) "What about my gall bladder?"  He said AND I QUOTE: "You're too young for it to be your gall bladder.  Besides that you didn't have pain in your right shoulder".  Fast forward to yesterday...I spent the remainder of Tuesday and Wednesday, right on through Thursday morning with severe nausea which eventually became vomiting.  I KNEW something was not right.  I called to make an appointment with my regular doctor and rushed straight from class to see her.  Her first response was, "I think you have acid reflux".  Again...I was not happy with this answer.  Because of my persistence and such, she ordered abdominal xrays and more blood work, and guess what?  Elevated.  Liver.  Enzymes.  This morning I had to be in Portsmouth at the Naval hospital at 0615...waaaaay too early...for an ultrasound of my belly.  I'm not sure what the results are, though I'm betting I didn't have little fishies swimming around as Alana predicted...I should know by Monday what's going on.  But if it's my gall bladder, the chance of me having to have it removed is great.  Thank goodness for having 5 weeks off from school after this next week!  Alana has been a trooper through all of this.  She's had to be tossed around more times than I care to think.  Lucky for me I have two AMAZING friends that were willing to step in and help me out.  It's bad enough when stuff like this happens, but when you have a 4 year old and your husband is floating around somewhere in the ocean...it can get a bit overwhelming!  So thank you Angie and Melissa.  I owe you both big time.  And thank you Dr. Singson for listening to me and not writing me off like Mr. "Fair Fat Fertile and Forty" at Depaul Medical Center.  You know who you are.  And p.s. Motrin only aggravates gall stones.  I'll keep you posted as I know what's going on.  

**UPDATE: I just received a call from my doctor, saying that I have "several" gall stones and will need to have laproscopic surgery to remove my gall bladder.  I have to meet with the surgeon in the next few days and they will schedule the actual surgery from there. 

Peace, love and organs you apparently don't need. xo

4 comments:

Jenna Lea said...

awwwww :(
as you already know i'm praying for you and your familia!I've never like hospital doctors. it always seem like they try to get you in and out as fast as possible after waiting for what seems like a milllion years in the waiting room.
I do have to say that picture is adorable! and i hope you don't have fishies swimming around, then you might be in trouble :)

Melanie said...

Yea for close friends nearby!!

I'm at least glad they know what it is. I wouldn't wish gallbladder issues on my worst enemy. Glad to hear no fishes are swimming around, though. I will pray that you recover quickly.

And the pic of Alana kissing your arm is adorable.

Ya know, sometimes I barely remember you are Jon's sister until I see blog titles like this one. LOL

Clever... at least you still have your sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

Dear "bruised, battered, etc." grandaughter-in-law, I do hope you have had a better day today!
Totally understand your dilema. Lisa(justin's aunt) has been going thru' the same thing. Hope both of you get relief real soon.She loved your description of the DR...said it was right on!
Love the adorable little angel who kissed your boo boo to make it better!!!It's hard to believe I have such an adorable great-grandaughter until I think about how beautiful her parents are!
Keeping all of you in my prayers.
Love you all xoxoxo Grm D.

Lindsay Schneck said...

i would totally come to your rescue, but liam and i would have nowhere to stay :( so, i'll have to send your mom in our place! hope you feel better soon!