Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fevers and Terrors


For those of you wondering, Alana's fever (knock on wood) has left the building. It stayed down most of the day yesterday, only spiking to 102.1 once mid afternoon...I gave her a dose of motrin and she's been good to go ever since! This morning she woke up and it was 97.8 WOOHOO, so I let her go to her gymnastics class. She's been begging to go, and considering how much better she was feeling I couldn't bring myself to say no. It has remained around 98.1 the rest of the day. I contribute it mostly to the popsicles she's been downing :)

Now if we can just get a handle on the night terrors...I think Angie's jinxing ability has rubbed off on me. I just got done telling my dad on Sunday that Alana hasn't had any night terrors since we were in FL...and how I can almost always call the nights she'll have them. Well, guess what? Last night, I spent about 30 minutes trying to calm my zombie-like, screaming child. It's frightening, but I guess I'm almost used to dealing with it now. The first time it happened I wasn't so calm. Usually she gets them when she's been go-go-going all day with no nap, and her brain doesn't slow down when she falls asleep. They start about an hour or two after she goes to sleep and last anywhere from 5 minutes to almost an hour! Her eyes will be open, but she sort of has a blank stare...I've found that when I try to hold her and comfort her, it makes it worse. She flails her arms and legs and I'm mostly concerned that she is going to end up injuring herself or ME for that matter :) She also acts like I'm a stranger or something. Eventually she goes back to sleep as if nothing happened, and she has no recollection of it in the morning. She's had the night terrors for about a year now...and I'm hoping we are nearing the end of this phase! Anyone who has any advice, feel free to share!

For now, I will embrace the fever-free, wide-awake child who is stomping around in her Snow White heels on the wood floor.

Peace, Love and Lessons in Parenthood

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTL the fever is gone !! I wish I could share some advice re the "terrors" but alas, I can't. Fortunately none of my 4 ever experienced that ...the worst I had to deal with was horrendous "croup-cough" a time or two and one convulsion episode...my only advice would be to let her pediatrician know what you wrote and ask his/her advice.
Blessings to both...

Jenna Lea said...

wow... sounds like you've been busy calming alana and getting her dora popsicles ;)
hope things settle down a bit for ya!

Melanie said...

I'm really glad to hear the fever is gone and Alana is feeling better. The night terrors sound like they are pretty scary for mom.

Other than keeping her safe, it sounds like just making sure she has adequate food, rest, etc. is your best bet from what you've already said. I wonder if her being ill had something to do with it this time. I really don't know what else to say. I know for nightmares and weird dreams that B-Vitamins can help, but I have no idea if that applies to night terrors or not.
I did find this website:
http://www.nightterrors.org/mot.htm

Amy said...

I'm so glad to see that Alana is feeling better! :) I don't know anything about night terrors but if I find out anything...I'll let you know.